gmake/make dependency problem

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Tue Sep 20 02:09:58 PDT 2005

Harti,

I guess it depends on your definition of a "source" file.

I think of a Makefile in terms of "target" and "dependency" files.

Automake makes it easy to build a package in the source tree (in which
case the "source" file is in the same directory as the object files) or
in a separate build/object tree.

Under gmake the behavior is consistent.

Under (at least FreeBSD's) (p)make, the behavior is not consistent.

The example I face is no different that a system that uses lex and yacc
(in the case where the distribution provides generated .c and .h files).

Does a POSIX spec cover this case?

Thanks...