Updating freebsd without cvsup

vittorio vdemart1 at tin.it
Mon Sep 19 23:26:45 PDT 2005

Alle 18:27, venerdì 16 settembre 2005, Ashley Moran ha scritto:
> Vittorio wrote:
> > Thanks.
> > I've just compiled the portsnap sources and put the following
> > in /usr/local/etc/portsnap.conf:
> >
> > # Defaults:
> > WORKDIR=/usr/local/portsnap
> > PORTSDIR=/usr/ports
> > KEYPRINT=9b5feee6d69f170e3dd0a2c8e469ddbd64f13f978f2f3aede40c98633216c330
> > URL=http://portsnap.daemonology.net
> >
> > BUT
> >
> > # portsnap fetch
> > Fetching
> > public key... failed.
> >
> > What's wrong with the original key in the
> > portsnap.conf.sample file?
> >
> > Thanks again
> > Vittorio
>
> The key is fine.  Perhaps you need to run portsnap as
>
> # HTTP_PROXY=<your proxy> portsnap fetch
>
> to get round your proxy

Well, after thourough examination and a word with the network administrator I
learnt that my FreeBSD 5.4 client cannot resolve the name (and the IP too) of
portsnap.daemonology.net because it is behind a firewall and a proxy (which
-by the way - I had already defined via both $HTTP_PROXY and $http_proxy; as
I stated in so doing "make install" under a port works flawlessly downloading
whatever is needed!).
According to the admin (windows 2000 network) portsnap is not able to use the
name resolution of the proxy as other programs like browsers can and relies
on the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf only.
Any idea for this poor newbie?
Ciao
Vittorio