two questions in one

Peter Matulis petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 19 16:37:09 PDT 2005

--- steve lasiter <slas7713 at yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> My web server is up and running well and I can test
> all by going to 192.168.0.2 from any internal
> workstation, but if I try to go to www.mywebsite.com
> from any internal workstation, which maps to the
> 66.190.xxx.xxx IP directed to web server port 80 as it
> should, my attempt will time out.

How are you redirecting your requests?  It is probably
due to the fact that a TCP handshake is not being allowed
to complete because the server is responding to the client
but the client is is expecting a response from the firewall.
This is common in your arrangement.  Sniff traffic with
tcpdump on the various hosts and provide us with more
details.

> If I run next door
> to my buddies and hit it from his PC I get there just
> fine. I can't understand this since I'm using the
> www.mywebsite.com name instead of an IP address. It
> seems the gateway should not be affecting me, right?
> How do I get around this or solve it? I don't want to
> have to go next door everytime I need to make sure my
> site is accessible from the web.

Sign up for a free shell account on an internet-based
server.

> One other quick issue. When FTPing from within my LAN
> it is horribly slow. It was fast after initial install
> but something happened without my intervention. I've
> tried two different servers, proftpd currently and
> pureftp previously. If I ftp outside my LAN it's
> lightning fast. Any ideas are appreciated.

With the ifconfig utility, check the configuration of the
involved network adapters.  In particular, look for duplex
and half-duplex.

--
Peter