two questions in one

steve lasiter slas7713 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 14:49:09 PDT 2005

First let me say I've come a long way with the help of
this community. I now have my local network set up
with several servers, workstations, and firewall with
most  using FreeBSD 5.4. Now here's my current issues.
Maybe I can get input even if these are not so very
BSD specific.

My network consist of a FreeBSD gateway (192.168.0.1)
with two new nic cards, fxp0 to the internet(cable
modem) and fxp1 to my LAN via cisco switch. My
web/mail server is on 192.168.0.2 My static IP is
66.190.xxx.xxx

My web server is up and running well and I can test
all by going to 192.168.0.2 from any internal
workstation, but if I try to go to www.mywebsite.com
from any internal workstation, which maps to the
66.190.xxx.xxx IP directed to web server port 80 as it
should, my attempt will time out. If I run next door
to my buddies and hit it from his PC I get there just
fine. I can't understand this since I'm using the
www.mywebsite.com name instead of an IP address. It
seems the gateway should not be affecting me, right?
How do I get around this or solve it? I don't want to
have to go next door everytime I need to make sure my
site is accessible from the web.

One other quick issue. When FTPing from within my LAN
it is horribly slow. It was fast after initial install
but something happened without my intervention. I've
tried two different servers, proftpd currently and
pureftp previously. If I ftp outside my LAN it's
lightning fast. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks to all again for the great work,

Steve Lasiter