FREESBIE 1.1

jonas jonas.de.buhr at gmx.net
Mon Sep 19 08:40:39 PDT 2005

hi!

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:55:56 +0200
Gavin McDougall <lists at mediamill.co.za> wrote:

> Mark Kane wrote:
> > Gavin McDougall wrote:

[snip]
> >  From their FAQ:
> >
> > -------------------
> > Is there a way to install FreeSBIE on my HD ?
> >
> > Yes ! Since FreeSBIE 1.1 it's possible to use the BSDInstaller to
> > install FreeSBIE on your hard drive, and then turn it into FreeBSD
> > 5.3-STABLE by means of cvsup
> > -------------------

i'm not sure about the details of this as i never used freesbie, but if
you can turn it into a 'real' 5.3-STABLE i don't see why it shouldn't
be possible to upgrade it to 5.4 by checking out the 5.4 sources and
doing a system rebuild.
check the handbook for upgrading the base system via cvsup, it's pretty
straightforward and the best way to upgrade your system, i think.

(maybe this is also the way the freesbie system is turned into a 5.3-
STABLE? if so, just checkout the 5.4 sources instead of the 5.3
sources, rebuild the kernel as well as the base system and then just
follow the rest of the instructions for turning freesbie into 5.3-
STABLE. BUT it won't hurt to be safe and do it in two steps if you're
unsure. the worst thing that can happen is that you become more
familiar with system upgrading :) )

greetz,
jonas