osx-fbsd-winxp

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 19 07:08:54 PDT 2005

On Sep 19, 2005, at 6:38 AM, Aaron Siegel wrote:

> On Sunday 18 September 2005 10:08 am, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

>>> Depends on when you mean with "communicate".
>>>
>>> For exchanging files, all three support SMB/CIFS. Install
>>> /usr/ports/net/samba on FreeBSD. You can then publish a 'share' from
>>> the FreeBSD that the others can connect to.
>>>

>> Right. ;-) That one is easy.. But the share needs to be on the fbsd
>> machine then. Can I also share parts of the XP / OSX to each other or
>> will this be hard to do. My daughter is on osx, her brother on xp and
>> they do not always want me (fbsd) in the middle ;-)
>>

> SMB/CIFS is a peer to peer protocol so you will be able to share
> files between
> any of your computers. So your son and daughter will be able to
> share files
> between themself directly.

     For communicating between the Mac/FBSD and the Windows machine,
use SMB/CIFS. However, when communicating between your Mac and your
FBSD machine, use NFS. I have Tiger and I can prove through testing
that performance is better for NFS when communicating amongst the
Unix based hosts. When dealing with Windows it's just easier to use
SMB/CIFS as it is included with Windows already.
-Garrett