freebsd for windows PC games

Peter Clutton peterclutton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 03:37:22 PDT 2005

> >> I am presently using windows XP as my OS using a LAN
> >> and I want to switch to Freebsd, but I have a few
> >> questions regarding the compatibility of the OS with
> >> windows PC games? Can I still run those games even if
> >> I am using the freebsd OS? If not, are there any more
> >> alternatives to run those PC games, and can those
> >> games run smoothly? (especially the multiplayer games)..

 There are linux ports of games available in the ports which you can often
run if you have the full pc version cd. Just follow the instructions of the
port to copy the right files in and you can play (FreeBSD has a linux
emulator).
 On the question of running them smoothly , as long as you have the hardware
for it, you will just need to install an up to dat FreeBSD driver for you
graphics card. Other than that, shouldn't be any slower than your used to.
If you go the linux port direction, it is said that often these apps run
faster than on linux itself.
 And talking about multiplyer games, there are some cool ports for running
servers like quake etc.