Install GRUB for FreeBSD

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sun Sep 18 13:51:41 PDT 2005

John Do <pcbsdguy at yahoo.ca> writes:

> Linux GRUB is simple and intuitive to use and BSD
> loader has me lost after weeks :(

I know both enough to say that BSD's is way more intuitive
and much simpler to configure and install.

> I even installed GRUB into MBR and the BSD bootloader
> won't go away! :(

I've made mine go away several times.  Note that you
shouldn't need to get rid of the MBR on the second disk,
with Grub on the first.  I don't know if Grub can be made
to boot the second disk's MBR, or not.  Probably.

> Someone please tell me what the best way to install
> grub is
>
> I guess you need it in the MBR but where will the
> menu.lst be stored?

It starts out on a floppy file system.  Then you either
just boot off the floppy, or you install it to the hard disk MBR,
other first-track sectors, and maybe your OS's root FS.  I don't
recall if you need a menu.lst or not.  That is, I don't know if
Grub can be installed only to the first track, or needs the
menu.lst in an FS; it seems like a bad requirement, if so.

You might search the Internet for a pre-build Grub floppy.