what was it ?

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Sun Sep 18 12:46:23 PDT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:09:23 +0100
dgmm <freebsd01 at dgmm.net> wrote:

> How old?
>
> 32MB is one number which comes to mind from MS-DOS 3.2 days.
>
> I've just repaired an old PC for a friend (Pentium 133MMX).  While testing, I
> used an old 10GB HDD I had lying around.  The BIOS would only see it as 8GB
> It didn't understand the existing 10GB bootable Win98 partition/OS on it.

In replying to this messages I want to thank all of you who responded
to my OT question. I'm using msdos-6.22 therefore fat32 is a no go (it
was supported as of dos7). At the moment I have a 1.4Gb drive in the
machine which works ;-) (2gb limit) I'll replace it with a 10Gb drive :
2Gb for dos and 8Gb for win98. It should run all the kid will need on
his old P.I-166.

I lost quite some hours today in replaying some old games I used to
play a lot years ago. Kyrandia i.e. has some music that used to
hypnotise me. Never did again until today. I found one of those old
original soundblaster-16 isa cards. Boy o boy, it was like everything
came back..

I *never* understood why those modern soundcards are NOT able to
imitate that old soundblaster-16 isa-sound. They don't even come close.
The sb16 sound is unique and only the real thing brought back quite
some memories. What a sound.

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4