Changing Console Video Modes

Harout S. Hedeshian hhedeshian at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 11:04:29 PDT 2005

Users,

            This is my first time on this list so I hope I am posting in the
right place. I have been a Linux user for some time and I am trying out
FreeBSD as some people recommended it. In my previous Mandrake (now
Mandriva) Linux system, I could pass a kernel parameter in the LILO
configuration file to set the console video mode (like "vga=xxx"). I ran it
at 1024x768 and sometimes 1280x1024 (depending on the computer) to allow
more text on the console. I am trying to do the same for my FreeBSD system.
A quick Google search brought up this tutorial:
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/. But, I'm not sure it does what I
want. It takes parameters in terms of character-cell dimensions and not
pixel dimensions. My question is, how do you tell the kernel to use 1024x768
as the video mode without having to deal with fonts? Is there an easy way to
do it, or am I crazy to even ask?

Oh, and one more thing, in Linux, the console is colorful. For example, if
you type "ls", directories are blue, executables are green, symlinks are
teal etc. Is there a way to make the console (or at least ls) colorful in
FreeBSD?

Thanks,

Harout Hedeshian