gmake/make dependency problem

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Sep 18 06:27:03 PDT 2005

On 2005-09-18 10:07, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
> I have a package that uses automake and autoconf.
>
> I have a single copy of the source code, and I build in machine-specific
> subdirectories (using NFS).
>
> I have a "master machine" which has all of the tools I need; I build
> there first and then build on the other machines.
>
> One these other machines is an x86 FreeBSD-5.4 machine, and it has the
> stock 'make' on it.
>
> When I try to build on this machine (after a successful build on the
> master machine) make says that there is an out-of-date source file
> and tries to run some tools to produce the source file.
>
> This source file is present in the VPATH.  The timestamps on all of
> the files are "correct".  make says a file cannot be found and the file
> is clearly there.
>
> I'm open to suggestions on how to find/fix this problem.

Does the system-clock of the NFS client machine agree with the one on
the NFS server system?

I've had problems with 'outdated' targets in the past whenever an NFS
server's ntpd died (and the system-clock started going off).

Now, I know that posting what seems like an NTP-related to someone with
an email address at ntp.isc.org is as close as I can get to 'herecy',
but I have to ask :)