NFS help

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Sep 17 21:29:56 PDT 2005

Tim Holmes wrote:
> Trying to move a NFS share to another NFS server and having a bit
> of trouble with it.  I moved all the files and and I edited exports.
>
> /etc/exports
> /home/install/fbsd -network 192.168.2.0 -mask 255.255.255.0
> /home/install/mdk -network 192.168.2.0 -mask 255.255.255.0
>
> Now the 1st one works just fine.  I can mount /home/install/fbsd
> across my network, but I can't mount the /home/install/mdk.  I've
> restarted the nfs server several times, but I still can't get that
> second share to become available.  Am I missing something?

NFS exports filesystems, not directory trees.  NFS permits you to mount a
subdirectory of an export/share, but you cannot mount two child directories of
a share if those directories are ancestors of one another on the same filesystem.

Please refer to _Managing NFS and NIS_, O'Reilly, p92:

"2. You cannot export any subdirectory of an exported filesystem unless the
  subdirectory is on a different physical device.

  3. You cannot export any parent directory of an exported filesystem unless
  the parent is on a different physical device."

Some of these restrictions can be mitigated with the -alldirs flag, but look at
"showmount" to see what you are actually exporting.

--
-Chuck