hints for troubleshooting poor sound quality.

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Sat Sep 17 17:53:59 PDT 2005

I've set up an ASUS small form factor machine based around an P4S8L
motherboard.  It's running 6.0BETA4 and Gnome2.12 from the tinderbox
packages.

I'm kldload'ing snd_ich and (after getting a helpful pointer to the
gnome FAQ) all of the sounds stuff is working.

Here's my problem:

  The machine has two mini-jacks, one in the front and one in the
  back.  If I plug a set of headphones into the front jack I hear all
  kinds of clicks and whirs and buzzing.  They seem to correlate with
  drive activity, cd activity, and maybe even the cpu fan.  The
  connector on the back seems quieter, but I still hear a bit of
  noise.

  I hear less noise on a set of sony powerer-subwoofer-and-tweeter
  speakers, but it's still noticable.

I haven't been able to try another sound device, the only spare card
that I have doesn't fit into the space provided (riser card).

I'd appreciate anythoughts about dealing with the noise.  Is this
something electrical w/ the motherboard?  Something about my Freebsd
setup?

Thanks,

g.