Downgrading from amd64 to i386 (and upgrading)

Sean rsh.lists at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 16:20:57 PDT 2005

Andrew P. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I use FreeBSD/amd64 6.0 as the only OS on my desktop
> PC. Having carefully thought over pros and cons, I decided
> to downgrade to i386 for the time being.
>
> My plan is to
>
> 1. cvsup
> 2. Deinstall all ports
> 3. Somehow build/install new world and kernel
> 4. Reinstall all ports
>
> I know that the i386--amd64 path is still not that smooth
> and going backwards is not gonna make it smoother, but
> can you please give some helpful tips?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew P.

Andrew,

	I am doing the same thing, basically, a couple of things not yet
working on amd64 is getting annoying. You could do what I am doing. I
backed up my data for transfer. But instead of wiping out the amd64 disk
I bought another disk and installed the i386 version on the second disk.
This way I can easily have access to amd64 FreeBSD when I choose.

					Sean

	p.s. I have wondered if I could upgrade upgrade an i386 install on my
opteron to amd64.
Has anyone tried that, is it possible?