portsnap segmentation fault

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 17 14:19:30 PDT 2005

Pat Maddox wrote:
> When I run portsnap update, I get the following error after it
> extracts the files:
> Building new INDEX files... Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Any ideas what's going on?

There is a bug in versions of portsnap prior to today which causes
make_index to core dump when it encounters a cyclic dependency.  To
make portsnap work properly again, you can either
1. Upgrade your base system to the latest HEAD or RELENG_6 (if you
are using portsnap from the base system),
2. Upgrade to the latest version of portsnap (0.9.5) in the ports
tree, or
3. Wait until somebody fixes the audio/timidity++ port.

Colin Percival