bsdlabel and c partition

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Sat Sep 17 06:44:11 PDT 2005

> Hi
> I have partitioned a disk using bsdlabel and I have used
> the c partition for the entire disk. According to the manual
> this mean I have used the disk in dedicated mode.

No, it does not mean you have used it in "dedicated" mode
(or 'dangerously dedicated' mode).   That is something else - basically
using the disk without slicing it - eg /dev/da0c rather than /dev/da0s1c.
Both work.  The first makes some assumptions that some systems
will not follow.

> Is there any danger in it?
> Is it preferable to use another partition?

My preference is to use either an 'a' name for the partition
or possibly an 'e' name for the partition because e is past
all those that have traditional uses.   I don't think it is
supposed to be dangerous, but there may be some utilities that
make some assumptions about the meaning of a 'c' partition.

////jerry