rt3 on 5.4

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Fri Sep 16 18:46:47 PDT 2005

On Fri 16 Sep 2005, dmehler26 at woh.rr.com wrote:

> Is anyone experiencing issues getting rt3.4 installed on 5.4? I'm
> getting an error via a port dependency that it conflicts with mod_perl.

I recently installed the port www/rt32 on a couple of 5.4 systems.
First I tried it in combination with www/apache13-modperl and then
I tried it in combination with apache13-modssl.  I had no problems
related to modperl.

I think I must have installed the following ports in this order:

	databases/mysql40-server
	www/apache13-modssl
	www/rt32

I never tried to install www/mod_perl independently and I never looked
to see how the www/rt32 port might have caused modperl (or apache or
mysql) to be installed if I had not previously installed them.

Since FreeBSD 5.4 was released, the www/rt32 port (which installed
rt-3.2.2) seems to have been replaced by the port www/rt-3.2.3 and there
is now a new www/rt-3.4.4 port.  I would guess that the new ports install
in pretty much the same was as www/rt32.

Dan Strick

P.S.:
On several occasions I tried to install RT-3.4 on RH Fedora Core 4 with
Apache 2.0 and on Core 2 with Apache 1.3 (because the RT-3.4 installation
docs said Apache 2.0 with modperl2 was flaky).  It was a nightmare (a.k.a.
"train wreck" / "unmitigated disaster").  The standard CPAN installation
procedure seems to be frequently broken because the modules won't pass
their own self tests, allegedly due to some sort of version mismatch
between the modules and their testing procedures, and you have to manually
force installation (or so I was told by a friend who has a friend who is
familiar with CPAN).  Once we got past the CPAN installation and tried
to actually run RT, it wiped out looking for perl modules in wrong places.
We tried to patch a few but gave up.  The matter seemed hopeless.