CUPS, Foomatic, and HPIJS?

Eric Pretorious epretorious at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 12:47:48 PDT 2005

I've been beating my head against the monitor for two days now trying to
understand the messy, incestuous relationship between CUPS, Ghostscript,
Foomatic, and HPIJS but would just be satisfied to know what this message
means (and how to correct it):

gateway#  foomatic-configure -s cups -n DeskJet_682C -c file:/dev/lpt0 -p
HP-DeskJet_682C -d hpijs -o PageSize=A4
Cannot read file /usr/local/share/foomatic//db/source/driver/hpijs.xml!
Driver file /usr/local/share/foomatic//db/source/driver/hpijs.xml corrupted,
missing, or not readable!
Could not run "foomatic-combo-xml"/"foomatic-perl-data"! at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Foomatic/DB.pm line 528.

I've installed every package that I can think of...

gateway# pkg_info -xI cups foomatic hpijs ghost | cut -d ' ' -f 1
cups-1.1.23.0
cups-base-1.1.23.0_3
cups-lpr-1.1.23.0
cups-pstoraster-7.07_3
foomatic-db-20040107_2
foomatic-db-engine-3.0.2,1
foomatic-filters-3.0.2_4
ghostscript-gnu-7.07_12
hpijs-1.7.1

...but the hpijs.xml file is not in the
/usr/local/share/foomatic/db/source/driver/ directory*. What should I do?

* I've used two commands:
1) find /usr/local -name hpijs.xml
2) pkg_info -xI cups foomatic hpijs | cut -d ' ' -f 1| xargs pkg_info -L |
grep jpijs
...and neither located the jpijs.xml file.

Eric P.
Sunnyvale, CA