[Samba] getent & winbindd on FreeBSD 5.4

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Sep 16 10:58:21 PDT 2005

In the last episode (Sep 16), Doug Sampson said:
> > That email is referring to the getent command inside the linux
> > /compat tree.  If you need that command to work, you will need to
> > install and set up the appropriate *linux* libraries and files into
> > /compat/linux/ . If this is your only problem, I'd recommend just
> > not running linuxes getent command :)
>
> Does anyone know where I can get FreeBSD-native getent??? It isn't in
> the ports system. Fresh Ports has it and it provides a link to the
> http://www.domtools.com site but it seems to be inactive.

FreeBSD doesn't come with a getent program.  I was able to compile
OpenSolaris' getent on FreeBSD with minimal problems, though.  You'll
have to remove support for ipnodes, project, and netmasks since those
are Solaris-specific, remove the gettext code, and you'll need to
provide a "putpwent" function (I used
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pw/pwupd.c:fmtpwentry() instead ).

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/usr/src/cmd/getent/

> How can I verify that linux libraries have been installed? I looked
> at this:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu-lbc-insta
> ll.html#LINUXEMU-LIBS-PORT. When I run the 'getent' command, it
> doesn't complain about missing libraries. When I checked for
> /compat/linux directory as follows:
>
> I noticed that the libnss_winbind.so and the libnss_wins.so aren't in
> /usr/compat/linux/lib directory. Should I add them manually? If so,
> from where? Or make a link to appropriate FreeBSD libs?

You would need to install them manually, from either an existing linux
system, or by extracting them out of an rpm.

Are you really sure you need a "getent" command?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com