"panic: getnewbuf: locked buf" on heavy load 5.4-STABLE

AK lesha at ns.divo.ru
Fri Sep 16 09:04:04 PDT 2005

Hello!

On Friday 16 September 2005 18:40, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Please read "man crash" and the part of the handbook which talks about how
> to obtain a crashdump or backtrace with more information about the panic
> you see.
>
> You might consider putting both a backtrace and a dmesg from the system on
> the web somewhere, and post links to that.

 To get a crashdump I should have swapspace >= total ram.
 Currently it is only 2G, I'm trying to think of smth. to  get more swapspace.
 dmesg is available @ http://getfile.biz/dmesg.txt

> > For some reason my 5.4 STABLE is dying each 4-5 hours with panic above.
> > This is big Web server with Apache configured to 1500 MaxClients. All
> > kernel tunings suggested for high load servers by freebsd handbook are in
> > place. Hardware is Intel server board, P4-3.0 cpu with HT off, 3Gb ram,
> > 1eide, 2sata.
> By the way, you don't have enough RAM to handle 1500 concurrent Apache
> processes, even with a minimal config (ie, no SSL, no mod_perl, no PHP).

 Mem: 1203M Active, 1293M Inact, 383M Wired, 125M Cache, 112M Buf, 4340K Free
 Looks like enough to me...

> The busiest site I've ever administered needed between 100 and 150 apache
> children in order to serve a load of ~2 million hits per day.
 Yes, if you run a "text only" site.
 This one is a "file download" site with more that 750Gb/day transfer.
 Limiting apache to 150 or even 500 connections will make it unavailable,
 as all slots will be occupied by active downloads.
 See http://getfile.biz/ for details.

Thanks,
         Alex.

OffshoreDrive.com - alex at offshoredrive.com
secure online storage and content delivery solutions