Mail question

Igor Robul igorr at speechpro.com
Fri Sep 16 06:35:00 PDT 2005

Alexander Bogdanov wrote:

>Hello.
>I can describe my problem: server will be located in school (school
>web server). And i'd like to create mail accounts for pupils and
>teachers, there's no problem. But...i'd like user to change his
>password by himself, he is just user, and don't have shell account in
>this server, only mail!

1) Postfix or any other SMTP server does not need passwords with default
configuration
2) Passwords are used for _receiving_ mail from mail server (POP3 or IMAP)
3) Most current IMAP servers support "virtual users"
4) There are several ways to change passwords of these virtual users,
which depend on your IMAP/POP3 server

5) If you use Samba or NT4/Win2000/XP domain, then you can install
security/pam_smb port, and tell your IMAP server to use pam_smb for
authentification, then users will be able to change their password from
their NT/Win2K/XP workstation.

6) In school environment you may consider giving users shell access, so
they can use gcc and other tools in education process, there are not
very big security risk with shell users