Mail question

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Sep 16 05:55:13 PDT 2005

Chris Petrovitch <cpetrovi at purdue.edu> writes:

> Alexander Bogdanov wrote:
>
> >Hello.
> >I'm student from Latvia. I'd like to ask you a question about Postfix
> >mail system under FreeBSD.
> >I have such problem: target is to allow user to change his mail
> >account's password by himself. For example, I set password for his
> >account, and maybe, user doesn't want me to know this password, so
> >he'd like to change it!
> > The question is: HOW? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
> >

> I'm in the same situation....  I used /etc/passwd for people with
> shell accounts, and /usr/local/etc/userdb (courier-imap) for virtual
> accounts..
>
> any insight on this would be great!

Note that in neither case does the password have anything directly to
do with Postfix.  For shell accounts, passwd(1) is the standard
answer, and there are add-on services (e.g., mail/poppassd).  For
Courier databases, you may need something specific to Courier; is
security/courierpassd relevant?

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/