Which CPUTYPE?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Sep 16 05:44:41 PDT 2005

"Kiffin Gish" <kiffin at gish.demon.nl> writes:

> I have the following configuration:
>
> CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+ (1800.08-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0xfc0  Stepping = 0
>
> Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,
> CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
>   AMD Features=0xc0500000<NX,AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>
>
> What CPUTYPE do I define in:

You don't need to change the defaults at all, you know.  It's not like
you're likely to *notice* any difference.  And the specific answers
depend on the version of FreeBSD you are running.

> - make.conf

"man make.conf" and search for "CPUTYPE".  It will point you at a
sample or default configuration file.

> - kernel config

"man 5 config" and search for "cpu".  You'll want the 686 version
according to that dmesg output.  On -STABLE (at least; I think this is
true on all versions, but I'm not sure), that is I686_CPU.  In any
case, it will already be in your configuration file (or GENERIC), and
you just need to remove the others in your config file.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/