"panic: getnewbuf: locked buf" on heavy load 5.4-STABLE

Alex lesha at ns.divo.ru
Fri Sep 16 02:49:07 PDT 2005

Hello!

For some reason my 5.4 STABLE is dying each 4-5 hours with panic above.
This is big Web server with Apache configured to 1500 MaxClients. All kernel
tunings suggested for high load servers by freebsd handbook are in place.
Hardware is Intel server board, P4-3.0 cpu with HT off, 3Gb ram, 1eide, 2sata.

Googling around I have found useful information on this issue in
freebsd-current
(http://readlist.com/lists/freebsd.org/freebsd-current/0/2259.html)
but that supposed to be fixed already.

This server is located in datacenter, so I do not have console access at
the time of crashes.

Can someone help me track down this problem?

p.s. Please CC me at address below.

OffshoreDrive.com - alex at offshoredrive.com
secure online storage and content delivery solutions