nvidia drivers

Sean rsh.lists at comcast.net
Thu Sep 15 17:07:06 PDT 2005

I am using a test system and have been try to get the nvidia drivers
working.

I am running freebsd 5.3 release, nvidia ultra 6800 256mb, and tried
installing the drivers using the port.

Went through all the info I can find and tried various things and no luck.

On a fresh install of 5.3, I installed te nvidia driver using the port
and after startx, (with no .xinitrc), it started fine. When I exited
this test there were two lines about this kernel (generic) and version
of FreeBSD not being able to support agp.

I cvs'd up and rebuilt all ports. Kernel still running generic install
and now have the below error.

dmesg does show the nvidia0: <geforce 6800 Ultra> with various info after.
dmesg also show on the next line nvidia0: [giant-locked]
The final line of dmesg shows 'interrupt storm detected on "irq16:
nvidia0:; throttling interrupt source'

Doing a startx, there is no .xinitrc in place, it fails.
One line shows 'nvidia: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl
(unknown error: 999).
The some lines about failing to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module, and
check to see if there is a supported GPU in the system.

Also a line about Screen(s) found, but none have usable configuration.
Fatal server error:
no screens found.

Checking the Xorg log it even states a NVIDIA GPU is found.
The only thing that catches my attention is that it states (II)
UnloadableModule "nvidia".

Anyone have success getting the nidia driver to run?

				Thanks
				Sean