problem with ipsec and sendmail

Bigby Findrake bigby at ephemeron.org
Thu Sep 15 14:33:10 PDT 2005

I don't know if this is the right list, but here goes:

I'm having trouble with an ipsec implementation.  The ipsec part works
fine, but now that it's set up, mail does not pass between the machines in
question.  I have set up ipsec on two machines, both connected to the
internet.  Machine A is supposed to relay mail to Machine B, but mail just
queues on Machine A.  sendmail tries to relay the mail, but the
connections time out.  I'm able to pass mail manually (by telnetting to
sendmail on the remote machine and issuing SMTP commands directly) and
that works.  sendmail also passes mail normally if I take disable ipsec.

With ipsec enabled, all of my network tests between Machine A and Machine
B succeed (ping, telnet, ssh).

Machine A is running FBSD 4.10, B is running 4.8.

Simple google searches did not yield any useful information.

Please let me know what other details of my implementation you would find
pertinent, if any.  I wanted to keep the SNR high.

Thanks in advance.

What is it called when you're pompous enough to quote yourself,
but humble enough to withhold credit?

                    finger://bigby@ephemeron.org
                    http://www.ephemeron.org/~bigby/