resize/combine disk partitions

hal hal at cc.usu.edu
Thu Sep 15 12:57:36 PDT 2005

I have three adjacent disk partitions as reported by
bsdlabel.

     ad0s1g /local
     ad0s1b swap
     ad0s1h /home

/local is at around 107% full all the time and needs to
grow.  /home is nearly empty ( new machine).

What I want to do is combine ad0s1g and h into
a new /local and add another disk for /home.

I have tried sysinstall disklabel to delete
the three partitions g, b, and h then recreate swap and
/local.  But noooooo the program says it can't write
to the disk.  BTW /local and /home were umounted and I
was in single user mode.

I suppose I could get creative with mount points but I
would rather resize/combine the three partitions into two.

How can I do that (short of a reinstall)?

hal