JDK 1.5 on Freebsd - Best Method?

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Thu Sep 15 12:27:24 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 05:58:11PM -0500, J French wrote:
> I need to install JBoss for some development and want to use FreeBSD but the
> Java binary issue concerns me. Is the patchset at
> http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk15.html robust enough for
> production?

The JDK1.5 patchset is marked as alpha quality only. There is another
patchset coming out soon, perhaps in the next month or so; but testing
is still going on.

>How about using the java linux binary in linux compatibility
> mode?

This is definitely sub-par. Java under the Linuxalator just works
enough to boot strap the native JDK. Wouldn't recommend it for
production usage.

>Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to have to go to
> linux for production. More to the point, how are people using JBoss in
> production on FreeBSD?

With the native JDK1.4.2. Its been around long enough to be considered
producation capable.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>