Can't run "make buildworld"

epf1 at cec.wustl.edu epf1 at cec.wustl.edu
Thu Sep 15 12:14:50 PDT 2005

> epf1 at cec.wustl.edu writes:
>
>> So I have an odd problem with a FreeBSD box of mine.
>>
>> It's a 6.0 Beta3 box upgraded from 5.4 and it can't seem to
>> run "make buildworld" and only "make buildworld". I can run \
>> "make cleandir" & "make cleanworld" & even "make kernel". I
>> can build other things from the ports tree as well.
>>
>> When I run "make buildworld" there is no output returned to the
>> screen, I have even left "building" overnight & got nothing, no
>> errors at all. The system does create the following path:
>>
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/tools/build/make_check
>>
>> but that is all the activity I can tell has happened.
>>
>> The system is running FreeBSD 6.0-BETA3 #0 and was compiled on
>> Mon Aug 29th. The system has been cvsup'ed since then.
>>
>> Any ideas or suggestions on where to start troubleshooting
>> this would be appreciated.
>
> Pretty odd, indeed.
>
> Try truss and ptrace, for a start.
> And look at top to see what's happening from a wider perspective.

When I try to buildworld top just shows make sitting there like so:

34791 root        1   8    0   608K   496K wait     0:00  0.00% make

I expect make will sit there as long as I feel like letting it go.

I tried truss but I got an error that it couldn't open /proc/somepid &
ptrace doesn't seem to exist on my system. I was able to use ktrace so I
have a ktrace.out file, but I don't really know what I'm looking at when
I view it with kdump.

What's really extra special weird is that I re-installed the box to
6.0-Beta4 & I was able to run "make buildworld" after I rebooted. Then I
cvsup'ed and now I can't buildworld again.

Any suggestions where I might find somebody who can look at my ktrace.out
file?

-Will