Can I do this?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Sep 15 12:04:38 PDT 2005

Lisa Casey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to replace a computer running FreeBSD 3.2 with one
> running FreeBSD 5.3. The 3.2 computer is currently used as
> a web server and a DNS server. I have installed FreeBSD 5.3
> and am currently adding the Apache2.50 port.
>
> Once I add the Apache web server and Bind, can I then just copy
> config files from the old system to the new one?

Sure, but see below.

> With Apache: can I copy  httpd.conf from the old system to the
> new then move my htdocs directory to the new system?

Sure, but see below.

> For Bind, could I just copy named.conf  from the old  system to the new
> then copy my zone files over to the new system?

Sure, but see below.

You forgot to ask, "will the new server and software work as expected
once these files are copied to the new machine's HDD?"

The answer there is, "probably, but it depends."

If the name daemon and the httpd daemon are the same version, and
the information in the config files (paths, for example) are valid, I don't
know of any reason why it shouldn't work.  But I wouldn't dare to issue
any kind of ironclad guarantee.  That's why we have sysadmins ... because
things do get a little screwed up sometimes.

Good idea to test first ;-)

Kevin Kinsey