Trying to colour syslog-ng logs to ttyv7 but won't work after a reboot

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Sep 15 09:09:54 PDT 2005

Ashley Moran wrote:

> Yes, syslog-ng is running fine (I'd already configured rc.conf like you
> say).  The problem is that it has a destination set up to pipe to the
> program ccze, and that pipe doesn't work unless I restart syslog-ng
> after boot time.
>
> I've also tried moving the script into /etc/rc.d and renaming it
> syslogng.  After removing the devfs requirement it boots ok, but still
> requires a syslog-ng restart.

Ashley,
before the restart of syslog-ng, is there any output to ttyv7 at all?

> Perhaps the ttyv7 isn't properly created until after all the local rc
> scripts are run?  That's all I can think.

you may want to edit the syslogng.sh to add some debug lines to see if
ttyv7 is up @ that point in time. based on the result of this, you may
want to background (sleep? wait and try again?) the launch of syslogng
until after the ttyv7 is ready.

or figure out in which order things are started and make sure the ttyvs
are launched before syslogng

good luck,