keeping CPU usage low

Atis atissita at btv.lv
Thu Sep 15 08:36:21 PDT 2005

Hi,

Is there a way to make the kernel HALT the CPU regularly even
when it has got runnable processes? Sort of like increasing the idle
thread priority?

The problem is with one my computers which has a buggy CPU. No
matter how many or how powerful fans I install, when there's
a CPU usage of 100% for over ~5 minutes it just overheats
and crashes the system.

If the CPU usage on average never exceeds, say, 80%, the system
keeps functioning just fine. Therefore it'd be a shame to throw
the cpu out just for this reason.

So is it possible to make the kernel always keep CPU usage
lower than some value?
Maybe without hacking the source?

Atis