IPs , Netmasks and Broadcast.

John Oxley john at yoafrica.com
Thu Sep 15 07:19:17 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 09:31:20AM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> Anyway, all the aliases for any one NIC card must be 255.255.255.255.

Not so.  All aliases for any one NIC on the same network must be
0xffffffff.  If you have an alias which is on another network, then the
first alias on that network must use that networks netmask and then all
the other aliases on the same network use 0xffffffff.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-virtual-hosts.html

But when you have two different networks on one NIC, I think you may
have to do some routing (I'm lucky, I just do the routing on the Cisco
switches that all our servers are plugged into :).

Have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-routing.html

Also google for or dual homed or something like that.  I
can't remember exactly what you have to do because I haven't done it in
so long.

-John