Blade Servers w/ SAN backend ... anyone doing this?

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Sep 15 01:41:39 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-Sep-14 15:22:32 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>From what little I've learnt so far, there is an HP Fiber Channel
>controller that is used to connect the Blade to the SAN, but I can't find
>anywhere that indicates that there is a FreeBSD driver for it ...

A model number, chipset or PCI ID would be helpful here.  If it's
integrated FC controller then what model blade is it?

>Also, another thing that was mentioned to me was the ability to 'boot on
>SAN', instead of having drives in the Blade itself ... is this something
>that can be done with FreeBSD, and, if so, is there anywhere on the web I
>can read up on this?

Booting is reliant on the BIOS - if the BIOS supports booting off a
disk-like device then you can (AFAIK) be sure that FreeBSD will boot.
Getting beyond booting depends on the kernel having a suitable driver.

--
Peter Jeremy