IE in FreeBSD?

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Wed Sep 14 20:09:17 PDT 2005

At 19:22 14/9/2005 -0700, Garret Cooper wrote:
>On Sep 14, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Eric Schuele wrote:
>
>>Roland Smith wrote:

>>>You mean apart from dumping IE and using firefox? ;-)
>>>Install windoze on a virtual machine on your FreeBSD laptop. You
>>>could
>>>use bochs or qemu. The latter is probably faster.
>>
>>I'll second the qemu vote.  It works very well.
>>
>>You don't mention *why* you need IE.  Stating why might help
>>someone provide a better alternative.
>
>     The reason why I can see using IE is the ridiculous requirement
>made by many software vendors and website designers that custom
>tailor their content to use either ActiveX (Valve's CS and CS:S for
>example) or certain features only available in IE, or they are just
>plain lazy and don't want to make their content Mozilla friendly.
>-Garrett

I don't think you mean "Mozilla friendly", I think you mean "according to
accepted standards." I would be suspicious of anyone selling software who
was too unaware of web standards to follow standards in their web site
(well, I would except someone who used tables rather than CSS to lay out a
page -- I can forgive that). Frankly, there are so many web sites offering
information I need that I don't really have time to worry about those sites
that require IE. I'm already suffering overload.

--
Roger