FreeBSD Port: mysql-client-4.0.21

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at MySQL.com
Wed Sep 14 19:18:42 PDT 2005

[resequenced, trimmed, format recovered]

On Tuesday, 13 September 2005 at  9:55:22 -0400, Michael Wright wrote:
> On  Monday, September 12, 2005 9:38 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>
>> It would help to know, of course, where you (Michael) are trying to
>> fetch it from.  Which port exactly are you trying to build, and what
>> is the fetch failure message?  FWIW the current 4.0 version is 4.0.25;
>> why are you installing 4.0 anyway?
>
> The reason I'm trying to get 4.0.21 is because when I run a "make" that
> is the version it is trying to download.  I've run CVSup from
> CVSup11.freebsd.org and CVSup10.freebsd.org with the same results.  When
> I run a "make" it tries to fetch 4.0.21, not 4.0.25.
>
> I'm obviosly not understanding a part of the process between "CVSup" and
> "make."

Yes, that's likely.  Specifically, I think you're misunderstanding
what cvsup does: it updates a local source repository.  If you want to
update the files in your Ports Collection, you then need to run 'cvs
update'.  That's described in the handbook, and also in "The Complete
FreeBSD".

But you don't really need to go that far; you should be able to get
the updated port from the web server.  Take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html, and unless you're on a slow
link just download
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz to be sure
you have all the latest ports.

My real question was, why MySQL 4.0?  It's missing a lot of the
features of 4.1.  Note, BTW, that the latest version of 4.0. is now
4.0.26.  But I'd recommend 4.1.14 instead.

Greg
--
Greg Lehey, Senior Software Engineer
MySQL AB, http://www.mysql.com/