traffic accounting.

Peter Matulis petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 14 09:55:34 PDT 2005

--- Derrick MacPherson <dm at mainframe.ca> wrote:

> > Are you searching for something that looks good or something more factual?
>
> Probably more pretty than extremely accurate. I've actually mirrored a
> port on the switch that's to our internet connection, and have ntop
> monitoring that. Seems to be working fine, I guess I would like a bit
> more of a warm fuzzy feeling that what i'm doing is right.
>
> > Another question to consider is whether you are interested in bandwidth
> > (bytes/sec) or in actual bytes transferred.  There are fewer tools that provide
> > persistent & archivable stats for the latter and I have yet to find one that
> > displays the latter in graphical form without it becoming a science project.
>
> bytes transfered is better, but both appreciated. And ya, it seems like
> there's a few solutions, none perfect. I am pushing for the replacement
> of our Pix's, my preference is PF on *BSD, but again, they want
> something that looks pretty.

I agree that bytes transferred is very nice to have (seems pretty basic).

As mentioned by another, there is a small utility called ipfm that does the trick.  There are
a couple of scripts on the net that process the output into something more useful (bytes for a
specified month).  For the prettiness factor, pf integrates painlessly with pfstat and
symon/syweb.

Here is something from pfstat.  It shows, well, pf statistics (bytes/sec for the last 12
hours):

http://papamike.ca/misc/pass_block_12.png

--
Peter