traffic accounting.

Derrick MacPherson dm at mainframe.ca
Wed Sep 14 09:36:15 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 23:11 -0400, Peter Matulis wrote:
> ---  <norgaard at locolomo.org>Erik Nørgaard wrote:
>
> > Derrick MacPherson wrote:
> > > I am going to pop a machine (bridged interfaces) in tween our LAN and
> > > our firewall (pix) and am wanting to know what people would recommend
> > > for IP accounting, it would be great to have a web based output to show
> > > what traffic, from/to what hosts so the boss is happy to look at it.
>
> Are you searching for something that looks good or something more factual?

Probably more pretty than extremely accurate. I've actually mirrored a
port on the switch that's to our internet connection, and have ntop
monitoring that. Seems to be working fine, I guess I would like a bit
more of a warm fuzzy feeling that what i'm doing is right.

> Another question to consider is whether you are interested in bandwidth
> (bytes/sec) or in actual bytes transferred.  There are fewer tools that provide
> persistent & archivable stats for the latter and I have yet to find one that
> displays the latter in graphical form without it becoming a science project.

bytes transfered is better, but both appreciated. And ya, it seems like
there's a few solutions, none perfect. I am pushing for the replacement
of our Pix's, my preference is PF on *BSD, but again, they want
something that looks pretty.