Problems with dual ethernet card

Tim Goodaire tgoodaire at linux.ca
Wed Sep 14 08:10:22 PDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 04:48:21PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> tgoodaire at linux.ca (Tim Goodaire) writes:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:09:54PM -0300, scuba at centroin.com.br wrote:
> > > hi Tim,
> > >
> > > Is it listed here?
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET
> >
> > No. It doesn't appear to be on that list. The card is an Intel Pro/100 S
> > dual port adapter, and worked well with the eepro100 driver under Linux.
> >
> > So, am I out of luck using this card with FreeBSD?
>
> I'm not sure that all Pro/100 cards use the same hardware, but all the
> ones I've used are under the fxp driver, not dc.  And I've got a
> dual-port here that works fine.

I've been trying to read the documentation to figure out what to do
about this. Basically, FreeBSD wants to use the dc driver for my card,
and it should be using the fxp driver.

Should I try and disable the dc driver in /boot/device.hints? I _think_
that this will just keep that driver from loading. Will I have to set up
hints for the fxp driver also?

Tim