Deep in printer hell.

WOB wayofbsd at verizon.net
Wed Sep 14 00:59:12 PDT 2005

When JFK said, "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the
other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..", I
always wondered what exactly "the other things" were.  Apparently, one
of them is printer configuration under FreeBSD.

If I am using a HP Deskjet 940 connected via parallel cable,  is there
not some simple way of configuring this printer?

Is it really necessary to follow all the steps in the handbook - just to
print?  The "Basic Setup" instructions are 15 pages printed.  Assuming
you can print them.

I got this printer working 6 months ago under FreeBSD, and apparently my
many notes on it are too many.  Now I'm starting from scratch, to
redocument it, and it just seems like there should be a simpler way.

I'm using 5.4, Fluxbox, Abiword, and Firefox - that's it.

Eventually I will figure it out again, I just wanted to know if there
was some simple script I could run, or "preferred short-cut" for setting
up desktop printer.  I realize the handbook is written to be precise and
server-centric, but I just want to print Yahoo driving directions, and
other such things.

thanks