apache2 with ssl starting problem

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Sep 13 20:22:24 PDT 2005

I recently installed apache2 on a server that I maintain.  (Previously I
had run apache13-modssl.)  The server runs fine so long as I don't try to
run ssl.  When I do that, I get some odd errors:

bash-2.05b# apachectl stop
bash-2.05b# apachectl startssl
(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
Unable to open logs
bash-2.05b# apachectl start

These errors occur whether I use apachectl or the rc.d startup script.
When I put apache2ssl_enable="YES" in rc.conf, and run the startup script,
I get this same error.  If I comment out apache2_enable="YES", then the
server doesn't start at all, so obviously the enable switch has to be YES,
but added the apache2ssl_enable switch just generates errors.

What am I missing?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas