5.5 release schedule?

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 13 14:37:03 PDT 2005

David Clear wrote:
> Does anyone know the status of 5.5-RELEASE?  The
> schedule on the website shows it due in September, but
> another note had it following 6.0.

FreeBSD 5.5 is definitely going to be after 6.0.  The exact time
will depend upon when 6.0 is finished -- the release engineering
team can only handle one release at once -- but since it is the
last release from RELENG_5 there is no reason to expect that the
process for 5.5 will be at all problematic.

Based on a guess of mid-October for 6.0, I'd guess that 5.5 will
probably happen just in time for Christmas (and it would then be
supported by the security team until the end of 2007).

Colin Percival