I've Created a Permission Problem which Baffles Me.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 13 13:59:11 PDT 2005

On this particular system, the /var and /var/tmp directories certainly
look like they do on other FreeBSD systems that don't have this
problem.

Script started on Tue Sep 13 15:36:59 2005
bash-2.05b$ cd /
bash-2.05b$ ls -ld var
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel  512 Aug 31 14:44 var
bash-2.05b$ ls -ld /var/tmp
drwxrwxrwT  3 root  wheel  512 Nov 11  2004 /var/tmp
bash-2.05b$ cd /var
bash-2.05b$ cd /var/tmp
bash: cd: /var/tmp: Permission denied
bash-2.05b$ exit
exit

Script done on Tue Sep 13 15:37:38 2005

	For the life of me, everything looks like it should and like it
does on other similar systems.  I can even log in as me and cd to
/var/tmp with no problem.  If I su to the user ID whose shell the
script was created in, however, /var/tmp is off limits which breaks
vi.  The userid in question is a normal UID and should have access to
all the resources that any non-root user gets.

Thank you for any help.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group