[OT] BIOS Beep Codes on Intel Server with AMI BIOS ...

Samuel Clements sclements at linkline.com
Tue Sep 13 13:09:12 PDT 2005

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Oh my gawd!  I've been going at this from a memory issue :(
>
> 'k, stupid question before I write off the memory issue perspective
> (since I have Kingston ready to take the whole server and do tests on
> it) ... I'm running the SE7520JR2ATAD2 motherboard, with an ICP-Vortex
> RAID controller .. the 'beeps' happen just after the 'BIOS Lan Console'
> pops on the screen, and *long* before the ICP-Vortex RAID controller
> BIOS does ... which is why I never thought RAID controller ...
>
> Is there an onboard RAID controller or something that these Beeps
> pertain to?

As I understand it, it's the RAID controller initialization - like when
it gets power and fires up the CPU, etc - not the 'lets POST now and
give audible beeps during messages' bit. This happened on the Intel
Controllers that were based off of the ICP-Vortex design. My guess is
you have an actual ICP controller and I'd expect it to behave the same
way. There is of course an easy way to confirm this - remove the
controller and see if the beeps go away.. ;)
   -Sam