video surveillance with freebsd

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 12:54:03 PDT 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 12:56:03AM +0200, vittorio wrote:
> The aim: with up to 4 small cameras connected to a pci board in a freebsd 5.4
> box, scattered suitably around to guard, surveille a seaside resort flat ***
> remotely ***. The open-source software I'm looking for should:
> 1) manage the pci board & the cameras;
> 2) start,trigger a script for, e.g., a gsm connection to transmit images to a
> remote server via ppp  OR start an alarm *** whener a motion is detected ***.
>
> Is there any software in the ports satisfying these requirements?

multimedia/camserv

which will manage a bunch of video cameras connected by some TV tuner
cards and convert the output info the sort of camera images you can
view on a website.  I don't think it does motion detection though.  We
tend to use cameras with that function built into them -- for instance
http://www.axis.com/products/cam_210/index.htm -- which do just about
everything you could wish for.

       Cheers,

       Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd