cyrus-imap + virtualdomains

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Sep 13 03:29:10 PDT 2005

Vladimir Dvorak wrote:
> It seems to be working but
>
> localhost.localdomain> cm user.test at 1.org
> createmailbox: Permission denied
> localhost.localdomain> cm user.test at 1
> localhost.localdomain> cm user.test at 1.org
>
> Why I cannot create test at 1.org directly ? Because of cyrus`s directory
> structure ? Or when I need mailbox with 'dot' : foo.bar at foobar.com ?

Try to be a bit systematic, clear up any previous mess, stop cyrus and
check the file permissions on the directories, if they are ok, start
cyrus again.

On my server mailboxes in the default domain are stored in
/var/imap/spool/user while virtial domain mail boxes are in
/var/imap/spool/domain with one subdir for each domain.

So, if you have got file permissions wrong on that directory cyrus won't
create any mailboxes.

After creating a mailbox use lm to see what mailboxes are created, and
then lam <mailbox> to check the permissions. Include that in your next mail.

I just looked back in the archive from the cyrus mailing list and cyrus
imap does some stuff with reverse dns and if it fails strange things may
occur:

"Aparently, cyrus-imap does a reverse lookup of the ip on the inter-
face that recieves the connection. This must resolve to a host
under the defaultdomain.

So, adding the line '192.168.0.4 top.example.com' to /etc/hosts
solved the problem."

This is my imapd.conf:

configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/imap/spool
altnamespace: yes
userprefix: common
sharedprefix: shared
defaultdomain: example.com
virtdomains: yes
allowplaintext: yes
allowplainwithouttls: no
admins: cyrus root
defaultacl: anyone lrs
sieveusehomedir: false
sievedir: /var/imap/sieve
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: plain
tls_cert_file: /var/imap/ssl/mail.crt
tls_key_file: /var/imap/ssl/mail.pem
tls_ca_file: /var/imap/ssl/ca.crt
lmtpsocket: /var/imap/socket/lmtp

/var/imap/spool and everything under that path is:
drwx------  11 cyrus     mail       512 13 Sep 12:10 spool

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: www.daemonsecurity.com/ca/8D03551FFCE04F06.crt