cyrus-imap + virtualdomains

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Sep 13 02:19:13 PDT 2005

Vladimir Dvorak wrote:
> I add
>
>     virtdomains: yes
>     loginrealms: devel testdomain.org
>
> into imapd.conf, then I created mailbox using following commands:
>
> devel~: cyradm -u cyrus at devel localhost
> Password: xxxx
> localhost> cm user.test at testdomain.org
>
> Now, I can authenticate and work with this mailbox.
>
> But problem occurs, when I create for example
>
> localhost>cm user.test2 at test2domain.org
>
> and try to login. In maillog appears
>
> plaintext test2 at test2domain.org SASL(-13): authentication failure:
> cross-realm login test2 at test2domain.org denied
>
> It is clear - when I put test2domain.org behind the loginrealms item, it
> works.
>
> My question is: is possible to allow * domains to loginrealms ( because
> this server will serve a lot of domains and adding domain items is not
> effective) ?

There are a few things that comes into mind: First, you write your login
realms as devel testdomain.org - I don't see test2domain.org anywhere.

Second, depending on you mail client you may have to separate login name
and realm with a % instead of @.

Third, the newly created mailbox may have wrong permissions - check.

Finally:

In my config I have only:

   defaultdomain: mydefaultdomain.org
   virtdomains: yes

and no list of loginrealms. Adding a virtual domain is as simple as
adding a mailbox as you did: > cm user.myuser2 at virtualdomain.org

I use sasl to authenticate against the system password so myuser
(@mydefaultdomain.org) and myuser%myvirtualdomain.org is the same user.

Since cyrus does not deliver mail (is not an MTA) cyrus can safely
assume that incoming mail matching user/domain is destined for storage
in that users mailbox. For this reason I guess, there should be no need
to specify realms in the config.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org