Fixing a MBR (and more) that ??? trashed

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Sep 13 02:06:18 PDT 2005

Gayn Winters wrote:

>Life was good until I wanted to add another disk.  The w2k operating
>system, when booted, saw the new hardware, "installed" it, and demanded
>that I reboot.  OK, but when I did, the FreeBSD boot manager was
>trashed. Its menu looked like:
>
>F1 ???
>F2 FreeBSD
>F5
>Default: F#
>
>I could not boot either operating system. In fact the only keys that did
>anything were ctrl-alt-del!  I removed the new hardware and using Fixit
>on the 5.4 release CD, I tried
>	boot0cfg -B ad1
>This recovered the boot manager, and allowed me to boot w2k, but FBSD
>wouldn't boot.  Pressing F2 in the boot menu still did nothing.

How far into the disk was FreeBSD?  I had a similar problem until I
specified "-o packet"
i.e.
    boot0cfg -B -o packet ad1

You could also try writing the boot manager using sysinstall/boot CD:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=611111+617364+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/freebsd-questions/20050626.freebsd-questions

--Alex