Sound on Thinkpad and Networking questions

Lars Lindblad lars.lindblad at bostreammail.net
Tue Sep 13 01:59:42 PDT 2005

Hi, the newbie Lars here again - still working on
NOT being a newbie soon...! ;)

New problems with FreeBSD 5.4 on my IBM Thinkpad 600E:

1. I try to get the sound to work, but I never manage
to make! I have tried to recompile the kernel, as described
in the FreeBSD Handbook I chapter 8. First I found a website
dedicated to Thinkpad600E and FreeBSD 4.7, but the lines
presented there didn't work. Instead I went to chapter 7 in
the handbook where it describes how I will change the kernel
to work with a Crystal 4232 Soundcard, so I guess I got the
right lines for the kernel. But when it comes to building
the kernel it says that it doesn't know devices with the
names pcm or csa. So, I am kind of stuck... HELP!

2. To learn networking I have connected the Thinkpad to my
2.2Ghz Intel-machine, but I must admit that still has too
less knowledge about networking. I have configured the network
cards so I can now ping both computers, but I need to know
more - does anyone have any suggestions about essential
reading (books, websites, other) about networking
FreeBSD/Linux/Windows?

3. The network I try to build is just a small LAN at home,
with computers 192.168.0.1 (my 2.2GHz) and .2 (my 600E)
involved. Could I give them other names? Could I be use
Terminal or Konqueror to reach them from each other?

Thanks in advance,

	Lars

--
Lars Lindblad <lars.lindblad at bostreammail.net>