grab video and sound bktr

Gunter Wambaugh unixgeek at six-two.net
Mon Sep 12 21:15:58 PDT 2005

Ok, so I confirmed that the sound from my tv card is fed into the
line in on my sound card.  I set the recording source to line and
adjusted the volume levels so that my mixer looks is thus:
Recording source: line
Mixer vol      is currently set to  50:50
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  51:51
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer line1    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75

With that, I can run motv and use sox to grab the audio from the
VHS.  But that still doesn't help me get both streams.  I have tried
transcode and nuvrec (as root) with absolutely NO AUDIO.  I can't be
the only one that has done this before!  Just show me a working cmd,
or point me to a mailing list where someone might actually
know....PLEASE.